среда, 20 февраля 2019 г.

Behavior Modification Project Essay

Identify Tar postulate Behavior Get a sizeable Amount of log Zs/Stop Napping Daily I chose to transfigure my log Zsing behavior for my behavior modification ramble. Sleep is something that I devote forever and a day had a chore with. In high school I would break an average of some 5 instants of re principal(prenominal)der a night, and now as a junior in college I get ab break through 5-6 hours a night. I wanted to modify this behavior because I pure tone that non getting enough residuum is negatively affecting my mood, health, and overall observation tower on my every day experience. It would be beneficial to me to be to a greater extent than arouse and happy by means of let out my days quite a than be banal and pushing myself to stay awake. My main issue with my quiescence behavior is the do of quantify I spend per day eternal restping. If my nightly sleeping patterns were increased, I could eliminate the need for naps during the day.Baseline Data 4.5-5.5 Hours of Sleep per Night At the beginning of the term I observed my sleeping patterns for a week. Since I hand a different schedule on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays than I do on Tuesdays and atomic number 90s I build that I do get moderately more sleep on some nights than I do on others. I did non include weekend sleep generation in my data. On Sunday, Tuesday, and thorium nights I would go to recognise between 1130 and midnight. I would then wake up at 530 am the following mornings. Therefore 3 nights of the week I was getting around 5.5/6 hours of sleep.On Monday and Wednesday nights I would go to line somewhere in that same beat frame of 1130 to midnight. However on the following mornings I needed to be awake an hour sooner, so I would wake up at 430 am. On these nights I was getting near 4.5/5 hours of sleep. I noted that on Tuesdays and Thursdays I was more wantly to get alkali from be given and fall slumberous around 4 pm for about 3 hours each of those days. On Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, I would nap for about an hour and a half around 3 pm. I observed that during the epochs that I would come hearth and nap, I could have been doing something more expensive with my cartridge clip if my body had the energy to keep pass rather than train a few hours to rest itself. stimulant drug Conditions School, Home use, and Distractions I live at home and commute to school, so the main stimulus condition was the distractions that argon avail subject to me such as TV and internet. I have slept with my TV on for as yen as I have had it. normally I will moot on a show or a movie and fall dormant half expression through ceremony it. This is the main problem for me because once I start I have an extremely touchy judgment of conviction stopping myself. My brain is lull concentrating on the website I was on or what I was watching as I am trying to fall asleep.Another condition is school. Since I do commute, I have to be up a trade prece dent than I would if I were living on campus. I work a lot of days after I get out of class so I have to have my hair and war paint done and cant go to class looking the way I did when I woke up. I realize that I could not tack my wakeup measure for this drop because that is the derive of time that I need to get ready and drive to school. Another condition is my provision. I usually piece of work and work on homework after dinner which is around 7 pm so homework doesnt usually affect my sleep that a lot unless I have a lot of work or studying to do.Set Goals Every week Sleep 30 legal proceeding More per Night At starting time my finishing was to increase the mensuration of sleep I got by 10 transactions every day. I attempted that the first week and found it to be extremely difficult because the times were so fill up together that it was almost impossible to claim myself fall asleep at that exact time. I overly was idea about it too much and thinking about it do it plane more difficult to fall asleep. I decided to switch my end by sledding to bed a half hour earlier than I did the week to begin with. That way with a starting point of 5.5 hours, by week 5 I would be getting 8 hours of sleep.The issue sleep foundation states on their website that 7-9 hours is the recommended amount of sleep for the average person over the age of 17. Therefore I took the median of that to use as my final oddment. Since the main problem that I had was the distractions such as TV and Internet, I make it a recover that I needed to close my laptop and turn off my TV at the specific sleep time culture for that week. I found that with my TV off I was able to fall asleep almost rightly off after pose down. I recorded the amount of sleep that I got every night, though it is not exact I did fall asleep almost immediately after the start times so it is only off by a few transactions at most. Sleep TimeGoals week 1 1130hebdomad 2 1100 calendar week 3 1030 hebdomad 4 1000Week 5 930*Since Week 1 was unsuccessful in going to sleep around that specific goal time I changed my parturiency by pushing my sleep goals back 30 proceedings for the remaining 4 weeks. *Altered Sleep Time GoalsWeek 1 1130 (Already Passed)Week 2 1130Week 3 1100Week 4 1030Week 5 1000Actual Sleep TimesWeek 1Monday 1155 pm-530 am 5 hours 35 legal proceeding (5.58 hours) Tuesday 1145 pm-430 am 4 hours and 45 transactions (4.75 hours) Wednesday 1200 pm-530 am 5 hours and 30 proceeding (5.5 hours) Thursday 1150 pm-430 am 4 hours and 40 legal proceeding (4.66 hours) Friday 1145 pm-530 am 5 hours and 45 proceeding (5.75 hours)Week 2Monday 1120-530 6 hours and 10 proceeding (6.17 hours)Tuesday 1115-430 am 5 hours and 15 minutes (5.25 hours) Wednesday 1125-530 am 6 hours and 5 minutes (6.08 hours) Thursday 1120-430 am 5 hours and 10 minutes (5.17 hours) Friday 1115-530 am 6 hours 15 minutes (6.25 hours)WEEK 3Monday 1050 pm-530 am 6 hours and 40 minutes (6.66 hours) Tuesday 1055 pm-430 am 5 hours and 35 minutes (5.58 hours) Wednesday 1045 pm-530 am 6 hours and 45 minutes (6.75 hours) Thursday 1050 pm-430 am 5 hours and 40 minutes (5.66 hours) Friday 1050 pm-530 am 6 hours and 40 minutes (6.66 hours) WEEK 4Monday 1025 pm-530 am 7 hours and 5 minutes (7.08 hours) Tuesday 1030 pm-430 am 6 hours (6.0 hours) Wednesday 1035 pm-530 am 6 hours and 55 minutes (5.92 hours) Thursday 1020 pm-430 am 6 hours and 10 minutes (6.17 hours) Friday 1020 pm-530 am 7 hours and 10 minutes (7.17 hours) WEEK 5Monday 1000 pm-530 am 7 hours and 30 minutes (7.5 hours) Tuesday 1005 pm-430 am 6 hours and 25 minutes (6.42 hours) Wednesday 1000 pm-530 am 7 hours and 30 minutes (7.5 hours) Thursday 955 pm-430 am 6 hours and 35 minutes (6.58 hours) Friday 1000 pm-530 am 7 hours and 30 minutes (7.5 hours)Below I have included the graphs that I made hebdomadary with the data I collected over the course of that week. The actual amount of sleep I got, my goal amount of sleep for that week, and the National Sleep Foundation recommended amount of sleep are all included.I found that these graphs are excellent for displaying how much closer I got to my sleep goal every week. I was very pleased with the results as I did not expect the project to go so smoothly. Since I live with them, I had asked my mother and my sister to look for any changes in my behavior during this time. twain of them agreed that around week 3 I was more cheer to talk to because I wasnt being so negative in our conversations.My mother enjoyed the position that I was more willing to go out and run errands with her when I got home rather than go in my board and pass out. By week 5 both of them had said that they discover I seemed to be getting through my days without as much complaining. Overall I also didnt notice any changes myself until about week 3. Weeks 3-5 made a big departure because I no longer felt that I needed to take a nap and since I felt that I h ad more time to do things that I wanted I had a much more positive medical prognosis on my day as a whole.Encourage/Remove Stimulus Conditions Time Management and Eliminate Distractions Since my main stimulus condition was the distractions that I had, the most important thing for me to do was to set a rule for myself to always turn off my TV and laptop before the goal sleep time of that night. I have always thought that I needed the background noise of my TV to sleep, and I was very surprise to found that I did not have a single problem with the TV being off. The only issue I had with this alteration was the fact that I didnt create this rule until after week 1. For the first week of my project I proceedd to go to bed with the TV on, and even though I was technically in bed at my goal sleep time I was not falling asleep until approximately a half hour after laying down. erstwhile I made this change and altered my sleep time goals the project went a lot more smoothly. Since I could not change the time that I woke up in the morning, I knew I needed to work on time management with my homework so that I could have at least a little free time before I made myself shut off my electronics. I halt fetching so many breaks during the time that I was working on homework and I just used a solid block of time to finish everything I had to do. It was a lot easier for me to get done scurrying when I wasnt losing focus on other things all of the time. I was happy with the decision I made to turn off my TV and laptop at the time I planned to go to bed every night.I believe that that factor made all the difference in the direction that my project went. I feel that there would have been more obstacles and challenges if I had not created that rule for myself. Modifying these two conditions helped me be able to fall asleep faster and also enjoy falling asleep much more than I had before. Punishers & Reinforcers Activities During the Time that was used for Naps I at first cont emplated the punishments that I could use for not going to sleep at my goal time.The first week of my project I was still not going to sleep around my goal time and I was go along to sleep at the times I had been sleeping before. I realize that since I used this time to watch movies, I could instead turn it into a reward by watching movies during the time in which I usually napped. Therefore when I returned home around 4 pm, rather than napping for 3 hours I could use that time for free time watching movies and going on the internet so that I could get my habitue during that time instead of getting my fix right before I went to bed. If I went to bed earlier, I would not need the naps.It was almost like a cycle that just needed to be adjusted. I stopped needing naps around week 3 when I was getting roughly 6 and a half hours of sleep. It was a nice feeling to look advancing to coming home and having free time rather than coming home and wasting a few hours of my day to feel refre shed. The fact that I had something to look forward to was a good reinforcement. I didnt feel that I needed many more rewards because being on a normal schedule and not losing as many hours of my day was a reward enough for me. I enjoy having more free time as opposed to having nap time. In a way I was using positive and negative reinforcement because I was taking aside my time on the internet and watching movies late at night, scarcely rewarding myself by using my time during the day for those activities which I got from going to sleep earlier. Design Schedules of consequence and Administer SchedulesI am going to modify my sleep patterns in order to get an increasingly fitter amount of sleep per night. This will aid in the elimination of day-after-day naps. I am going to sleep 30 minutes earlier every week until I am getting 8 hours of sleep a night. My reward will be having more free time to relax and do what I want after a long day rather than wasting those few hours by sleepi ng. The free time will be my motivator since I already wish I had more time during the day to do things that I want to do. The ResultsCreating this platform was somewhat of a challenge because the main problem was my bad sleeping habits. I learned a lot about myself as a result of doing this project, and the most that I learned was near the end when I was organizing all of my data. Though week 1 did not go as planned, I was very proud of myself for actually following through with my goal sleep times for the remainder of the project and I can intelligibly see the benefits I have gained from the changes that I made. Even though my main goal was to work on the amount of naps that I would take, I observe many more benefits along the way. I found it easier for me to pay upkeep in class, and my note taking skills have also improved. My need for coffee in the morning has gone down and I actually wassail more water in place which is a much healthier alternative.I also find it much ea sier to drive to school. I also am in a much better mood in the mornings that I was before. I found the most difficulty in this project during week 1. I believe this is because I had not yet made the adjustment to turn my electronics off. After making that change in my project everything seemed to work out much better and I never rightfully went off track again. I feel that I am more productive and I now also have more time during the day to relax and enjoy myself. I felt that I made a good choice in choosing this specific behavior to modify because it has really improved more than one area of my daily life. I really have learned what a difference a healthy amount of sleep can do for you and I will continue to try and stay with the amount I have worked to getting right now.

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий